The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) Strathpeffer

The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) Strathpeffer

Strathpeffer has some of the finest Victorian houses built in the Highlands. From the grandeur of the village's three magnificent churches, to the Eagle Stone monument featured in the Brahan Seer's predictions, you won't be short of local landmarks. The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) which stands in a field off Nutwood Lane in Strathpeffer is a Pictish stone featuring the symbols of a horseshoe and an eagle etched into its surface - possibly indicating that it was formerly used as a marriage stone. The stone was originally situated lower in the valley and was thought to mark the graves of Munro clansmen killed in battle in the 15th century. There are various stories and legend dealing with the stone - see the information sheet at the stone.

To find this stone, when entering Strathpeffer from Dingwall, park at the car park past the Victorian Station on the left, opposite the sign to the stone. There are two ways to go to it, either by walking up the hill or by going down the hill. Either way you have an uphill walk. The Eagle stone is a pictish symbol stone which dates from about the 7th century. The stone takes it's name from the symbols carved upon it, one of which is an eagle. It is listed monument of Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) is a solitary standing stone dating from at least as early as the 7th century. It was carved with two symbols: an eagle (from which it takes its name) and a horseshoe. This has led some to suggest that it was been originally used in marriage ceremonies. The Eagle Stone once lay at a spot farther down the valley but was moved in 1411 AD to commemorate the victory of the Munros over the Macdonalds in battle fought on the site of today’s town. There are a number of myths and legends associated with it, the most famous of which involve Coinneach Odhar, better known as the Brahan Seer (d.1660).

It was also said to have been put up by the Munros after a battle with the Mackenzies and is inscribed with their crest, the Eagle, in memory of the slain. It is now thought to be of far greater antiquity, inscribed with Pictish symbols similar to the stone that stands in the St Clement's churchyard in Dingwall.

The Eagle Stone also features in a prophecy of Coinneach Odhar, the Brahan Seer, who lived in the area in the 17th century. He foretold: "When the Eagle Stone falls three times, the waters will come up so far that ships will be moored to the stone." The stone is believed to have been moved twice already and is now firmly cemented in place. Also see: Strathpeffer Pictish stone trail
The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) Strathpeffer, Easter Ross near Dingwall, ROSS AND CROMARTY, Ross-Shire

Location:

The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) Strathpeffer
Ross-Shire
Scotland, UK

Javascript is required to view this map.
Similar of 'The Eagle Stone (Clach an Tiompain) Strathpeffer'
Comments