Wick Old Parish, Bridge Street and Pulteneytown Parish Church

Pulteneytown Parish Church

Wick Old Parish and Wick Bridge Street churches

In contrast to the regularity of Pulteneytown, the ancient heart of Wick retains its informal charm. The winding High Street, partly paved and pedestrianised to a high standard, is still the focus for most commercial activity in the burgh. At its west end is the old parish church which dates from 1820, with earlier remains - the Sinclair aisle - in the churchyard. The origins of the Old Parish Church of Wick dates back to the twelfth century.

In the church yard you will see the ruins of an old (13th century) Chapel. This is the Chapel of St. Fergus who is the Patron Saint of Wick. You can see an effigy of St. Fergus in the Wick Library. Wick Old Parish Church has been featured on "Songs of Praise" and is supposed to have the widest unsupported roof span of any church in Scotland.

HUNDREDS of visitors flocked to Wick's beautifully decorated Bridge Street Church for its final open day recently. They were able to browse through a selection of photographs, memorabilia and to watch Alan Sinclair's presentation of the history of the church.

More than 160 years after the Disruption – a split within the Church of Scotland – and a proposal from the Kirk's headquarters as far back as 1941, Wick Old Parish and Wick Bridge Street churches will finally be reunited. Wick Old Parish and Wick Bridge Street Town Hall are listed properties Of The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

The service of union, which is open to all, will take place in Wick Old Parish Church – which will now be known as Wick St Fergus Church – on Friday, April 3, at 7.30pm.

In Wick, the Rev Thompson, whose portrait still hangs in the Bridge Street Church, left the Established Church (Wick Old Parish) taking the majority of his congregation with him.

They worshipped in the open air at Glebe Park until their new building, known as Wick Free Church, was built on the site now occupied by Somerfield's.

In 1862 plans for the present building in Bridge Street were drawn up, and it took three years to build the impressive neo-Gothic-style church which has seating for over a thousand and cost well over £1000.

Final services were held for both congregations on 29th March 2009, with the Reverend Ronnie Johnston preaching in Wick Bridge Street Church. During the following week important items will be transferred from Bridge Street. More details info: click here

Services and Hours at Wick Old Parish Church:
Sunday
Morning Worship 11.30am
Sunday School 11.30am
Minister - Vacant
Church Manse,
Wick Old Parish Church
Wick Old Parish Church
Wick Bridge Street church
Wick Bridge Street church

Contact and Location:
Wick Old Parish Church

High Street,
Miller Avenue, Wick, Caithness
Tel 01955 604252
Web: http://www.caithness.org/community/worship/wickoldparish/index.htm

Contact and Location:
Wick Bridge Street Church of Scotland

Wick Bridge Street,
Church of Scotland.
Bridge St, Wick, Caithness.
http://www.wickbridgestreetchurch.org.uk/
Service Hours: Sunday 11.30

Pulteneytown Parish Church

Pulteneytown Parish Church was built in 1842 as the new church for the new settlement of Pulteneytown – built by the fishing authorities as the result of the huge increase in herring fishing - Wick having become the largest port in Europe. To-day, few boats are allowed to land fish in Wick and the harbour lies largely unused.

Contact and Location:
Pulteneytown Parish Church

Argyle Square,Wick, Caithness
Email: myrt...@tiscali.co.uk
Web: http://www.pulteneytownchurch.org.uk/


Similar of 'Wick Old Parish, Bridge Street and Pulteneytown Parish Church'
Comments