Submitted by George Farquhar on Wed, 2011-04-06
Glasgow is Scotland’s largest city. Previously a heavily industrialised city, Glasgow is now better-known for its cultural, artistic and architectural heritage, and has won two prestigious awards in the last decade – European City of Culture (1990) and European City of Architecture and Design (1999).
- Glasgow Airport: 8 miles west of the city centre, at Junction 28 of the M8 motorway (0141 887 1111). There are coach services from the airport to the main bus stations in the city centre – Anderston and Buchanan.
- Glasgow City Council: For information on what is happening in Glasgow, museums etc.
- Greater Glasgow and Clyde Valley Tourist Board: 11, George Square, Glasgow, G2 1DY (0141 204 4400)
Architecture (Charles Rennie Mackintosh)
Glasgow is renowned for its excellent Victorian architecture and for being the home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. There are several Mackintosh houses and buildings within the city, and the excellent Hill House in Helensburgh is easily accessible from Glasgow by train or car.
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh house: Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow University.
- Glasgow School of Art: situated at 167, Renfrew Street. Designed in 1896. Remarkable for both its architecture and interior design. For further details: Tel 0141 353 4500 Fax 0141 353 4746. Open Mon – Friday. Tours available.
- Hill House, Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh: designed in 1902, this is a fine example of Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s architecture and interior design. The house now belongs to the National Trust for Scotland, and is open to the public, timing: 25th Mar – 31st Oct 1:30pm – 5:30pm, Tea room open 1.30 – 4.30pm. For further details, telephone: +44 (0)1436 673900 E-mail: thehillhouse(at)nts.org.uk
- House for an Art Lover, Bellahouston Park: recently built from a 1901 design by Mackintosh. Some rooms are open to the public, but this building is mainly a centre for post-graduate students from Glasgow School of Art.
- Mackintosh House, Glasgow University: the interior of Charles and Margaret Mackintosh’s Glasgow home has been recreated in this splendid museum.
- Queens Cross Church: situated in Garscube Road.
- Scotland Street School: situated in the south side of the city. Opened in 1904 and is now a museum of education.
- Willow Tea Rooms, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow: reconstruction of the 1904 original tea rooms, designed for Kate Cranston.
Museums and Art Galleries
Glasgow has a wide variety of Art Galleries and Museums.
- Burrell Collection, Pollok Country Park, Glasgow: This is the art collection of Sir William Burrell, given to the city in 1944, and consisting of around 8000 foreign antiquities and artefacts. The museum is open daily. There is an entrance fee. For further details: Tel 0141 649 7151 Fax 0141 287 2690
- Gallery of Modern Art: Royal Exchange Square. Opened in 1996. For further details: Tel 0141 229 1996 Fax 0141 204 5316
- Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery: the Museum contains collections of coins and geological items. The Art Gallery is renowned for its James McNeill Whistler collection, as well as its paintings by Rembrandt, Tintoretto and Rodin. The Museum also contains the Charles Rennie Mackintosh house. For further details: Tel 0141 330 5431 Fax 0141 330 3618
- Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery: an extensive collection of art, including works by Rembrandt, Picasso and the Scottish Colourists. Artifacts include armour, animals, ships, costumes etc. For further details: Tel 0141 287 2000 Fax 0141 287 2690.
- People’s Palace Museum: social history of Glasgow from 1175 to the present day. Situated at the northern end of Glasgow Green. For further details: Tel 0141 554 0223 Fax 0141 550 0892
- St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art: this new museum stands beside the Cathedral at the top of High Street. The exhibits are from all world religions, and includes a Japanese Zen garden. The Salvador Dali painting “Christ of Saint John of the Cross” was moved here from Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. The Museum is open Mon – Sat, and Sun afternoon. There is wheelchair access. For further details: Tel 0141 553 2557 Fax 0141 552 4744
Parks and Gardens
- Botanic Gardens: 40 acres of woodland and lawns beside the River Kelvin. The Victorian greenhouse, the Kibble Palace contains tropical plants and marble statues, and is occasionally used as a venue for classical concerts. For further details: Tel 0141 334 2422 Fax 0141 339 6964.
- Glasgow Green: the first public park in Britain, this park was opened in 1662. The People’s Palace Museum is situated at the north end of the park.
- Kelvingrove Park: situated in the city’s west end. Provides excellent views of Glasgow University, the Victorian buildings of Park Circus, and the River Kelvin.
- Pollok Country Park: 360 acres of parkland on the south side of the city. It is home to the Burrell Collection and the 18th century Pollok House.
Places to Visit / Things to See
- Finneston Crane: The largest dockside crane in Glasgow, situated at Finneston and standing near the north Rotunda (originally an entrance to a tunnel underneath the River Clyde, but now a restaurant and bar). This crane was built in 1932, is capable of lifting 175 tonnes and is still in regular use.
- George Square: Situated in the city centre. From the square, there are excellent views of the City Chambers, which opened in 1888. The exterior of the building is impressive, and the interior of the City Chambers is well worth visiting.
- Glasgow Cathedral: at the top of High Street. Built in 1136, this Cathedral is dedicated to the city’s patron saint, St Mungo. The Crypt has particularly impressive fan vaulting. For further details: Tel 0141 339 6691.
- Glasgow Royal Concert Hall: 2 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3NY, United Kingdom
- Wolfson Hall: Gothic building, designed in the mid-19th century by Sir Gilbert Scott, which overlooks Kelvingrove Park. Houses the Hunterian Art Gallery and the Mackintosh House.
- Provands Lordship: built in 1471, this is the oldest house in Glasgow. Situated near the Cathedral at the top of High Street, this building is now a museum.
- Tenement House: furnished flat which remains almost completely unchanged since 1892. Located at 145, Buccleuch Street, Glasgow. Tel 0141 339 6691
- Western Necropolis: Tresta Road, Glasgow, G23 5AA. Cemetery behind Glasgow Cathedral, for Glasgow notables. Inspired by the famous Pere Lachaise cemetery in Pairs. There is a statue of John Knox at the summit, from where there are excellent views of the Cathedral.
Glasgow has some excellent shopping, and is considered second only to London for shopping in the UK.
- Argyle Street, Buchanan Street, Sauchiehall Street: these are the main areas for shopping in the city.
- Buchanan Street: worth visiting for its architecture and shops.
- Italian Centre: situated off George Street, this shopping area is noted for its exclusive shops, beautiful architecture and street cafes.
- Princes Square: situated just off Buchanan Street, this is an elegant shopping centre decorated in art nouveau style. There is an excellent variety of shopping and places to eat.
Similar of ‘Glasgow Tourist Information’