Submitted by Bulmer Hobson on Sat, 2010-03-27
This Sir Joseph Paxton designed park is a classic example of a Victorian Park.
Its design and setting on the banks of the River Kelvin enhance and compliment the many magnificent buildings which surround and the world renowned Art Gallery and Museum prominently featured within it.
Kelvingrove Park was laid out between 1851 and 1867, it is commonly recognised as the first purpose designed and constructed park in Scotland. It was laid out by the leading landscape designer of the time, Sir Joseph Paxton who was also responsible for the Crystal Palace in London. This classic example of a Victorian Park, set on the banks of the River Kelvin, enhances and compliments the many magnificent buidlings which surround it, notably Glasgow University, Park Circus and the adjacent Kelvin Hall International Sports Arena.
The park contains a superlative collection of statues and monuments which could rival George Square, however the jewel in the Kelvingrove crown remains the magnificent Stewart Memorial Fountain, made by Sellars and Mossman. This Fountain, erected in 1872, commemorates Lord Provost Stewart who was instramental in the delivery of Glasgow’s water supply system from Loch Katrine. The statue is based on themes from Sir Walter Scott’s Lady of the Lake and the main figure represents the fair Ellen. The fountain uses mains water, an extravagance that cannot be afforded today so it is currently closed while being refurbished.
Telephone: 0141 287 5918
‹ Glasgow Green up Pollok Country Park › Similar of ‘Kelvingrove Park’