St Mary’s Chapel, Crosskirk

St Mary’s was a small chapel build in the 12th century. It had a knave and chancel and the knave is all that remains. The chancel was built over at a later date. A burial enclosure is now in its place. It stands in a walled burial ground overlooking the bay at Crosskirk. The main doorway is thought to be a more modern addition whilst the other entrances are original. there a good number of gravestones around the chapel and many of the inscriptions are still very clear.

St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk

This simple dry-stone chapel survives as a roofless nave, and a chancel reconstructed in 1871 as a burial place for the Gunn family. The graveyard, enclosed by stone walls, was still in use in 1872. A few hundred metres to the south of the chapel is a healing well dedicated to St Mary. This historic St Mary’s Chapel Monument is thought to have been built on a much earlier religious site as a Pictish symbol stone and evidence of 8th century occupation were uncovered during excavations of a nearby broch.

St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk

How to get there:
From car park, follow farm track till you come to some steps, follow them down to the Forss Water and take bridge across. Path leads up the cliffs and along to St Mary’s Chapel. Return by same route. From Thurso take the A836 west for 4 miles. Just before Bridge of Forss, turn right along a minor road (Crosskirk), and follow to the end. Park near the gate. Public buses operate from Thurso.

Contact, booking and admission tickets:
St Mary’s Chapel, Crosskirk
Telephone: 01667 460 232

St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk
St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk
St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk

Location:

St Mary’s Chapel, Crosskirk
Thurso near Forss 6m West of Thurso on the A836.
Caithness KW14 7UZ
Scotland, UK

Related Posts

Add Comment