Submitted by Owen McCafferty on Tue, 2010-01-05
An unusual landmark on the hill above Oban is McCaig’s Folly. A circular monument in the style of a Roman Amphitheatre.
Gylen Castle is a Clan MacDougal stronghold which was built in 1582-1587. It, like many other Scottish Castles has a chequered history.
At one end of this 4-mile long island stands the monument to David Hutcheson, the first man to start a regular ferry service over to the Hebrides.
At the other end is Gylen Castle, known as the castle of fountains, which was once a stronghold of the MacDougalls.
In May 2006, the restoration of the castle was completed thanks to a grant by Historic Scotland and fundraising by the Clan MacDougall. It is now open to the public free of charge all year.
You will find the castle most attractive with it’s many gargoyle and fancy cornices.
Take a walk down to the shore and be sure to find the tunnel which runs under the castle as well.
More details info: http://www.martinmchale.com/clan/gylen.htm
Fig: Gylen castle
‹ Dunollie Castle, Dunstaffnage Castle And Chapel up Kerrera Island › Similar of ‘Gylen Castle’