A crofter’s cottage build in 1850, preserved by Mary-Ann the last of the family. Depicting a way of life seldom seen in these days.
Mary Ann´s cottage – a window on the crofting past, showing how successive generations of a crofting family lived and worked over 150 years. Display of 19th century farming implements. The cottage was the home of Mary-Anne Calder until she was 93 in 1990. It is now maintained as it was when she left, a farming croft in continuous occupation since it was built by her grandfather in the first half of the 19th Century. Open June until September.
Mary Ann´s cottage was acquired by the Caithness Heritage Trust with help from national heritage memorial fund and other generous donors which was opened by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother on 9th August 1993.
The Croft is not a museum. The furniture, fittings, and artifacts of all kinds are original: nothing has been brought in to make it appear more “authentic”. Visitors are personally conducted on a tour which brings the life Mary-Ann´s story. Provide guided tours of the cottage from June to September from 2pm to 4.30pm (closed on Mondays). Tues – Sun.
Getting Mary-Ann’s Cottage
From Thurso station go to town centre traffic lights. Cross river bridge, turn left on A836 and travel 10 miles east to Dunnet village. Follow road to John O’Groats. In village of DUNNET follow signs for MARY ANN’s Cottage.
Mr Leslie Rowe (Contact Person)
Tel: +44 (1847) 892303, 01847 851765, 01955 603385
Fax: +44 (1847) 892303
Caithness KW14 8YD